The generic name for Motilium Ireland is Domperidone, and it represents an anti-emetic applicable to cure vomiting and nausea as well as symptoms of stomach pain caused by delay in emptying of the stomach. That may cause the following symptoms:
- Feeling full (after or prior to meal);
- Stomach ache;
The main active ingredient in is domperidone maleate, which is contained in each 10mg tablet of Domperidone.
Domperidone – are white-coloured, round tablets with biconvex shape. Each tablet also contains a few other inactive ingredients, such as: maize starch, lactose monohydrate, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal anhydrous silica, magnesium stearate and sodium laurilsulfate. Motilium is generally supplied in cartons of 10, 30 and 100 tablets.
The use of Domperidone tablets after the expiry date, which is printed on the package, is strictly prohibited. Hence, if you have any tablets, which have passed the expiry date, please do not take them and return those tablets to your pharmacist for further disposal. Keep out of sight and reach of children. Make sure you store all the tablets in its original package.
Motilium Ireland tablets contain lactose monohydrate. Hereby, it is important to consult with your physician, if you have previously been diagnosed with intolerance to certain types of sugars.
Avoid taking Motilium Ireland tablets if you:
- Have ever experienced any allergic reaction caused by Domperidone or its ingredients;
- Have been diagnosed with a severe intestinal problem, like internal bleeding (symptoms are characterized by recurring black bowel motions), as well as perforation or obstruction of the stomach and/or intestine (generally involves serious/severe stomach cramps);
- Suffer from tumour located in the pituitary gland (also known as prolactinoma);
Prior to taking Motilium Ireland confirm with your doctor the following:
- Kidney or liver disorder;
- Pregnant (or likelihood to become pregnant soon);
- Have heart-related issues (because Domperidone may affect your heart bit rate. The risk of problems related to heart may increase, if the patients are 60 years old and more or if the dosage exceeds 30mg/day.
Driving and operating machinery
The likelihood of Motilium Ireland to affect patient’s ability to operate machinery or drive is low.
Compatibility with other medicines
Please seek for doctor’s consultation if you are currently medicated, or have been medicated recently, even if those medications are not actually prescribed by a doctor. The medicines list includes the following:
- Ketoconazole (applicable in cases of fungal infections);
- Opioid analgesics (used for general pain treatment);
- Ritonavir (used for HIV infection treatment);
- Antimuscarinics (used for treatment of bladder or any disorders of a gastro-intestinal origin);
- Erythromycin (used for various infections treatment);
- Amantadine (used for viral infections treatment);
- Bromocriptine or Cabergoline (used for treatment of Parkinson’s disease or pituitary tumours).
Once taken with any other drugs, the main effect of Motilium Ireland tablets as well as the effects exerted by another medicine may be changed.
Take Motilium Ireland exactly in accordance with the doctor’s prescription and make sure you carefully read the leaflet. Domperidone is advise at the lowest effective doses for both adult patients and children as well. Swallow Motilium tablets with a sufficient amount of water.
- Adults and adolescents (with weight of 35kg and more):
- The recommended dose for the general treatment is 1 – 2 tablets to be taken 3 – 4 times per day prior to meals. Do not exceed more than 8 tablets (equivalent of 80mg) within 24 hours.
- Infants and Children:
- Children weighing less than 35kg are advised to avoid taking Motilium.
- The normal dose for the general treatment is 0.25 – 0.5mg per 1kg of bodyweight and is to be taken 3 – 4 times per day prior to meals. Seek for your pharmacist assistance in case if you are uncertain or have any other related questions.
If any of the following side effects happen, stop taking Motilium Ireland tablets right away and get in touch with your doctor without hesitation or approach the hospital, which is closest to you (because it may the result of an allergic reaction):
- Breathing problems or difficulties;
- Swollen feet, face, as well as hands, ankles, throat or lips;
- Itching skin, hives or skin rash.
If you observe any of the symptoms listed below, stop treatment with Motilium Ireland and consult with your doctor:
- Uncontrolled movements, such as irregular eye movements, abnormal twisting, unusual tongue movements, sudden turning movements of the neck, as well as stiffness and also trembling of the muscles. Such reaction is mostly going to happen among children;
- Convulsions (i.e. fits);
- Disorders related to heart rhythm (symptoms may include fast/slow heartbeat).
All the side effects, rate and common, should be taken seriously and if a patient observes any of symptoms listed above, he should immediately seek for medical assistance to avoid any possible adverse effects in future.